I’ve said it before and I will say it until I’m blue in the face but dating in New York City is unlike dating in any other city. I discussed the difference between NYC and LA (at least in my experience). However, it’s just not LA. Dating in NYC is different than any other city and here are 5 reasons why:
- It’s not like Sex and the City. Give up the Carrie Bradshaw dreams right now ladies! There will be no horse sled in the middle of Central Park. Hate to break it to ya. I don’t think any other city has had so many TV shows romanticize the dating life than New York, which is good and bad. I am a sucker for any show filmed in NYC as I can see the beautiful city as well as learn new places to scope out guys. However, it also leads to a lot of unrealistic expectations. Go on your own adventure and path; don’t try to emulate someone’s else (especially if they’re a fictional character!).
- We don’t judge by car but by neighborhoods. Most people in New York don’t drive so what we size people up on (as compared to say LA or other cities) is the neighborhood you live in. I don’t judge too harshly but I do judge distance wise. I know I am not a fan of trucking to Brooklyn for a date. It takes me typically an hour rather than say walking 10 minutes in Manhattan. I’d expect him to come to Manhattan to meet me because most people work in the city. Whereas in LA, I drove an hour for dates because driving is something we do every day.
- You need to bring an extra set of shoes. Especially in the winter! You’ll need your snow boots and your fancy heels tucked away in your purse. I personally just expect to walk everywhere so opt for semi-formal comfortable shoes. I always feel bad when I see guys making their dates balance on stilettos walking the concrete jungle. When will they learn?!
- If you’re on one site, then you’re on many. I don’t know about you but I’ve found with New York guys that they tend to use more than one dating site/app. I didn’t notice this as much in LA (not sure why) so I see the same guys over and over. Go away!
- New York City is the best boyfriend any girl could ask for! You never have to be single in NYC because you can date the city. It is the greatest city in the world and there’s an adventure around every corner. I know NYC has been the best relationship I’ve ever had – 8 years and going strong!
What differences have you noticed about dating in New York City than any other city? Share your stories in the comments below!
Check out more from DATING GIRL & her adventures in New York City.
Kimberlee blogs about her love of fashion and beauty at I Have A Degree In This!. She’s lived in Midtown Manhattan for 8 years and has tried it all when it comes to dating.
1 thought on “Dating Girl: 5 Differences in NYC Dating”
I love point #5 – such a great way to look at it. And as far as comfy shoes, I couldn’t last a day in nyc because i only wear comfy shoes hehe. great post, Kimberlee 🙂